Thursday, June 22, 2006

Here Comes The Bride....Part 2

It suddenly dawned on me, that my original proposed tiers, of 14", 8" and 5" would look a bit disproprotionate, and for some reason, I do not possess a 10" pan. So, braving the torrential storms yesterday, I made my way to the baking supply haven, BAKE WITH YEN, in Taman Mega, and got myself a 10" pan, as well as a 7" pan.

So now, the tiers are going to be 14", 10", and 7". Somewhere along the line, also prompted by a suggestion from boo_licious, to make a different flavour for 1st and 2nd floor. The ground floor is vanilla butter, and the top two floors are chocolate butter. Sssshhhh, I made a real boo boo during the mixing.... the resulting cake seems a bit hard, but at this point, I am so stressed I am inclined just to wrap a round cardboard hat box in fondant, and buy some cake to serve as a sheet cake. There's nothing worse than sitting in the crowd to have someone next to you go ptoooi, who the heck made this.....!!! It happened at a recent birthday, when someone commented that this particular cake was too sweet.



Duhh, the icing is virtually pure icing sugar and butter, what do you expect!!! I don't mind friends telling me this, but its a bit uncomfortable to be criticised at a distance...in that tone, "where the heck did this cake come from".

Anyway, because of the baking, was home bound all night. At least managed to finish watching all of Season 2 of Desperate Housewives.

Another thing that has been confusing, and terrifying me, is the method of stacking. Some books say it's absolutely vital to have a cake board for each layer of cake, ie, cake sits on cake board that sits on the bottom cake....but other books seem to do away with it. I reckon that since the ground floor seems mammoth, it should be able to bear the weight of a puny 10" and 7" cake. Argh, should have had a back up plan. Maybe I better head to Ikea tonight and buy those concentric circular boxes that they sell....

This is the naked un-iced 3 tier cake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

U are brave man. But your friends who are getting married are even braver ha ha! Just kidding. I have faith in u. Pity cant answer your stacking ques...KSL

boo_licious said...

ya lor, sorry I'm a noob in stacking. Hope it goes well (fingers crossed for you!)

fatboybakes said...

KSL- yalor, i wouldnt have entrusted my wedding cake to an amateur home baker....aitelyu!!! they ARE brave. when i expressed my fear and terror earlier this week, and wondering what possessed me to accept, bride said "oh, that's coz u have a heart of gold"...to which i replied, "yeah, and a brain of butter"....

boo... yar, well, that was helpful...hahaha!!