Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Why Do People Have To Be So Rude?

I do not usually blog about negative experiences, but since this is food related, I think I should relate my experience, so that whoever goes into the F&B business should not make the same mistake.

Fellow flogger (food blogger) and me went for coffee and cake at this cafe in the vicinity of Atria. The minute we entered, we were greeted by the aroma of durian, so I suspected they must have durian cake, which was good. We plonked ourselves at a cosy corner, only to be told, almost impolitely, by the proprietress, "oh, you're only having coffee and cake? Can you move to the smaller table as I'm expecting my lunchtime crowd". Fine, although a "please" or "do you mind" would have been welcome, I attributed the lack of manners to stress.

We had our cake, and coffee, which really, to her credit, was quite good. So good that my fellow flogger wanted to take away a piece of the durian cake for his mum. Then the waitress comes and says, very unconvincingly, oh, cannot pack, because it's too soft. Well, it's not like it was falling apart when they served us, and I didn't think it was THAT soft, so I casually enquired after the owner, "oh, you mean the durian cake can't be tah pau-ed?"

She literally snapped at me, "No, I am expecting a lot of walk in customers..... (and for good measure, threw in the excuse)...and its too soft to pack". Now this time I got really irate. There are many ways to skin a cat, there is no need to be rude. Anyway, I shouted to my friend, "I'm waiting outside, I can't take this".

Ah, it's good to get it off my chest.

16 comments:

Karen said...

wah, i admire your self-control! i would have shouted AT HER without any hesitation! hmm... now if i'm in that area, i'll be looking out for a shop with durian cake and make sure i DON'T go there :)

Unknown said...

Just tell us what is the shop name!

fatboybakes said...

haha, jackson, dont pretend la.

snowdrop, it is old age that has mellowed me. in heydays, i WOULD have shouted at her and created a scene. now, i am more docile. it did occur to me to replicate the durian cake and give it away free at the door of her cafe. but alas, revenge is so unChristian.

Anonymous said...

if it is the one on the side road of atria, which is FAMOUS for its duriancake, and if the rude lady is a plumpish chinese girl manning the till, then she is a member (or used to be, coz i havent seen her there for some time) of FF in manulife and she does balance. If it is the slimmer lady, then it is the sister who is the one who bakes those yummy cakes....

Anonymous said...

oh, what is the shop name?

Anonymous said...

I think I meant to say "shop's name"

boo_licious said...

Aiks, they're so rude there? Terrible - just publish their name and everyone will avoid them like a plague. Every one raves abt their durian cake so I guess they are getting big headed abt it all.

I've never been to the one near Atria as we usually go to the one in Dsara Heights. The fella who runs the Dsara Heights is a sweetie as we have been patronising his outlet since he was in Amcorp Mall. Only thing is Durian Cake is not readily as available as the one in Atria. He told me once it's best to get it in Atria.

By the way, I heard that yr friend who owns a bakeshop in Desa Sri Hartamas used to own this place? Is that true?

fatboybakes said...

boo, yar, the guy in DH is very polite. been there once. are the shops related at all, though they have the same name? how magnanimous of the DH fella to advertise the atria one if not related.

and crikey, howwww on earth did you know that i know the cake shop owner in sri hartamas??? yup, she used to own the atria cafe, and sold it off some years back.

boo_licious said...

You mentioned before in one of yr blog entries hence I know you know her.

I think the DH and Atria cafes are related but no idea how. We were saying business must be good as all he needs to do is open for lunch and during the weekdays only to survive.

Anonymous said...

bon bon?

Audrey Cooks said...

I know! I Know. Used to work near the one at D'sara Heights. Yea the guy is nice. Thank God I never met the rude lady. I love the durian cake, very nice indeed.

boo_licious said...

I read the Star Metro recently and they did a feature on a place in Gita Bayu. Is that the restaurant yr friend runs and the one you supply lemon tart and brownie too? There's a pix of the brownie in the paper. Looks yummy.

fatboybakes said...

audrey cooks, yar, the guy in the dsara heights one was very polite. i am not sure if the two places are related.

boo, yup, that's the restaurant, dillinea. mind you, i havent gone there myself actually. the brownie looks good coz of the makeover....it's like plastic surgery for food. all decorated etc...

Praveen R. said...

i had a similar experience at 3 monkey cafe at wisma UOA, Damansara Heights ( wonder if its still there).

My colleagues and I simply loved their brownies and we wanted to have it for dessert during lunch time once. The lady owner just told us that we couldnt have it unless we were having lunch.. And guess what?? The cafe wasnt even half full at that time... Needless to say, we never went back again.

fatboybakes said...

hi praveen, thanks for dropping by. Isnt it astounding how ppl in service industry can be so thick right!!! i mean, if i were running a cafe, and ppl were coming in just for the brownies, I WOULD BE SOOO THRILLED!!!! (and make sure i have lots of stock in hand!)

Anonymous said...

I used to frequent that place too for the durian cake but not anymore. Tried this other place, M&M Cafe in Section 13 and their Durian Mousse cake is as good if not better.. and minus all the rudeness as well.. and they sell online too..