Monday, April 24, 2006
Alexander Inspired Oreo Cake
I really should work on my presentation, and make sure the knife is free of crumbs when cutting through a layered cake. Anyway, this particular cake was inspired by RPM Instructor, Alexander Lee, who displayed a pic of a sponge sandwich with oreo cream in the centre, but refused to divulge where he had eaten it.
So, I decided to improvise.
1 portion chocolate sponge
1 portion vanilla sponge (actually, 1 choc sponge cake would be sufficient, if you can't be bothered to have muhibbah colored layerings)
2 cups whipping cream, whipped
1 packet oreo biscuits crushed
100gms dark chocolate melted
1. Prepare the sponge cake, either through cheating way, ie, use sponge mix from BAKE WITH YEN, or any bake shop. That'll be 250 gm (2 cups) sponge mix, 4 eggs, 80gms butter. Very idiot proof. Beat eggs, sponge mix (hmmm, got add water ah? cant remember) for 12 minutes. This is where a stand mixer comes in handy.
2. Bake in square or round tin.
3. While sponge is baking, whip the cream, and crush the oreos (1 packed means one tube). Depending whether you like your oreos chunky, or finely crushed.... crush accordingly.
4. Use 2/3rds of whipped cream and add in oreo mixture.
5. Melt the chocolate (with a dash of unbeaten cream) and use a portion of it to mix a chocolate cream with remaining whipped cream.
6. When the sponge cake is ready, and cooled, cut into three layers, and intersperse first layer with oreo cream, second layer with chocolate cream, and top it off with a chocolate ganache.
7. Refrigerate, and serve cold.