Monday, May 07, 2007

Siu Siu, At The End of The Runway

Years ago, Godma Jean introduced us to this quaint little "shack", located in the innards of Robson Heights, on a road that leads to the Chinese Cemetery, which can look really spooky at night, that serves rather good and reasonably priced food. The place, Siu Siu. Eating there, you could literally forget you're in KL, as you're surrounded by the lush greenery and sounds of crickets making love. It's like eating in a rainforest.

Anyway, like my waistline, they have obviously expanded, and now have a spanking new premise at the end of the runway, of the old airport (now the TUDM Sg Besi Base), along the SMART/ KL Seremban highway. As you descend the flyover that brings you down to the left turn that leads to Jln Istana, you feel like an aeroplane yourself, as you can see the runway, from an almost aerial view, and the restaurant Siu Siu at the end of it. There's something about restaurants at the end of a runway. Like Subang. There are rows of seafood places at the end of that runway. Weird right? What's the correlation between runways and seafood?

Well, last Monday, (goodness, my updates seem to have a 1 week time lag), some friends and us went to check out the new Siu Siu at the end of the runway. The set up is nice and airy, alas, cant smell any aeroplane fuel. (see 6 weird things about me post). Well, since it was a week ago, I can hardly recall what we had now. Okay, there was a fish, very very large one, (Free Willy comes to mind), that was deep fried. The texture was good, and I love the crispy bits associated with fried fish.


The pork knuckle was rather delectable with its crispy skin. This pig probably went to the gym, coz there wasn't much fat in its arms. How is that possible!!! That's a minus point, when it comes to pigs. Thin pigs are like 38C bras for men.... completely useless. However, I recall the taste was good, and the crackling divine.


I remember loathing brinjal and lady's finger as a child. But they are my favourites now. Throw in some petai, and this simple dish is just heavenly. And I don't mean in a cake sense. It's just wholesome goodness on a plate, and tastes delicious too. Reminds me of a lame joke: How do you tenderise meat? Ans: Papaya. How do you harden meat? Ans: Lady's finger.



Taufu with chee yoke soi. Well, tofu is tofu. Would take a real dungu to screw this dish up.


Another okra brinjal combo, in a curry claypot. I honestly have NOOOO recollection of this taste.....maybe the single malt whiskies I was imbibing had deleted some brain cells.



The piece the resistance, crabbies. Yummy. I lurve crabs. We had two varieties, butter crab in claypot and the salted egg crab, which seems to be the rage these days. I swear, there's a conspiracy afoot by major drug companies selling lipitor and zocor (cholesterol medication), to come up with the MOST UNHEALTHY food combos. Salted egg yolks and crab. How much worse can it get. Butter and crabs? It's a conspiracy, I tell you. Why not just shoot us and save us the misery?


The total bill, for 8 of us, came up to approximately RM320. I only remember coz it was RM40 per head. Quite reasonable, considering the amount of food we had.

Meanwhile, last Saturday, I had the most shockingly bad bad bad buffet dinner ever. I am still wondering if I should write about it, lest I be sued for defamation.

22 comments:

Tummythoz said...

Huh? Shoot? Oh no no no not me please. I'll happily go thru d 'misery'. Long time never had salted egg crabs di... Luv that crab claw shot!
1 week lag time is very good in my books. What can I say, think my posts will need to be done in black & white flashbacks. Hope next week I'll have more time/mood to play major catch up.

Rarebeet said...

Hahaha "expanded like my waistline"? Funny! Food looks good. Please do tell about this bad buffet experience of yours so that I may avoid it. Although, I do detest buffets, unless its Sunday at Kampachi.

Anonymous said...

Was it reported that fatless pork is injected with beta-agonist something?

I had the most satisfying buffet this Sunday. I followed the write-up in the Star newspaper on Finnigan's KL. It was a small and had a homely feel to it. It sated my craving for Sunday roasts, like in the Halls.There was roast beef, roast pork and roast leg of lamb and a lovely pasta and rather soggy fish n chips and a lovely cream of green pea soup, and choc mousse and the rice dessert. All in a pub like setting for a token RM30 plus plus.

Anonymous said...

eh? there is something with the buffet lines in the hotels nowadays, it's so crowded, I just feel like there are locusts coming at you from every angle possible scooping up morsels under your nose without a word of excuse me, then dropping the ladle back into the dish with a loud plonk! Hey what happened to lining up for your turn. Doesn't that say how I feel about buffets?

They have no right to sue you, it's your personal opinion, when food is bad, who get sick? not the chefs.

Anonymous said...

fbb, didnt know the siu2 place has become a big2 place. r u sure dat the pricing is reasonable? coz' i remember many ppl saying dat siu2 charges tor2. but then again i m toking 2 the man who has 3 privi cards that costs an arm n leg to get even 1.

sunshine, farni dat u mentioned reading the Star to find makan places ... not sure if any of u noticed last Sunday Star featured makan places by the blogging fraternity namely ur frens Babe in the City, Masak2 and Rasa Malaysia.

either the Star is getting a bit low on budget for food write-ups or someone had a really tight deadline to meet.

fbb i have quite canggih digital camera on loan from cinaman aka my cg leader. i will take pix for ur cake listing page as a peace offering. u just tell me when.

backStreetGluttons said...

yahoo congrats ! u now rav aloud almost like a glutton...
Almost like us

cholesterol? its damn good for your brain u know! at least before the nex cutting edge latest new breaking news report. no worries

wmw said...

Ha ha to team bsg's comment! I think they want to recruit you as one of their newest member!

Anonymous said...

I wan tofu.... and curry pot... and crab....
Everytime someone posts about salty egg yolk crabs, it reminds me of Pangkor island.

Babe_KL said...

fbb, not to worry, i'm lagging months behind ok. still hv loads of photos waiting to be posted up together with the write ups!

i totally agreed wid yr fren smallertoe here rgding the star featuring or rather regurgitated what we have written. i really felt the writter should have at least massage them up into his/her own words. increasing price nevermind but repeating what food bloggers have already written??? they should really look into how KLUE did it.

when Ee-Tan did her share of featuring us in Malay Mail sometime back, at least they went round makan at those places we listed for them before they actually published in the papers for creditability!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I like the seafood curry at Siu Siu. And the char siu too, although I hear that the char siu is only served at the jungle outlet...not this one. Have yet to try the claypot crab rice, although it is one of the more popular dishes there.

The Star article - despite not being creative about the whole cutting and pasting thing that they did, at least copy properly lar. That oso cannot do.

fatboybakes said...

tummythoz - my flashbacks are becoming like those old pirated videos...very blur...

paprika, this buffet...hmmm
A female rodent not off
At the intersection of our continent's gift for posterity, on the 1st floor, lies this

sunshine, RM30 is a steal!!! good roast beef is hard to find. got yorkshire puddings?

audrey, i oso generally dont like buffets. but mine was a free voucher, expiring in june. so had no choice ler.

smallertoe, thanks for the offer, but its okay, quite a number of ppl have offered. its a mammoth task, coz will have to make entire selection for the photo shoot. where got that kinda time.

team bsg - i am a glutton.

wmw - yar, but not confined to backstreets only la.

jason - come to kl again ler.

babe...well, actually, they should pay you guys. afterall, the material IS well written, and their editing might make it worse.

LL - there's charsiew? good, coz we're heading there tonight. runway closed on tuesday.

jackson, you;re a big boy. you know the way. go try la.

tankiasu said...

Went there few weeks ago but they were closed. Grrr...shall go there again!

And pls blog about ur shockingly bad bad bad buffet dinner ever. If you ever get sued, I'll provide the financial assistance for the legal proceedings. ;-)

teckiee said...

hmm no recollection of the brinjal combo means not taste enough to remember ?

fatboybakes said...

tankiasu, ....wow, that's generous of you.
but i didnt take any pics wor, how to blog.

teckiee, no lah, it was the single malt whisky that made me forget.

Rasa Malaysia said...

FBB, sorry lah I am not a baker so I do not know what is inside the bisquick mix. Next time I come home, you remind me I buy one box for you and you can decode what's inside, okay?

boo_licious said...

Gee, guess everyone is busy nowadays> For me,I need to catch up on reading blogs and posting comments. Been out of it for a week plus already.

Awww, those crabs look so good and drats, did I see a cholestrol tag next to it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah... it's a taboo to remind us of the consequences ... since we're all in the same boat !

I spotted some 'effects' eh. Good stuff man ! Thumbs up on it. Siu Siu ... I'll be there soon !

fatboybakes said...

RM, they sell biscuit mixes here too, just wondering if its the same.

boo, cholesterol? what's that?

timothy, you dont look a day over 25, you cant possibly be sporting any cholesterol probs...so, we cant be on the same boat.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

well i wouldnt call indulging suffering..if not what is the point of life?..

Anonymous said...

yar,i thot so too, esp when you have a kid who only subsist on chips, so it costs only rm15 per child. It's nothing fancy and no, there was no yorkshire pudding. It is an air asia version of a western buffet.... all washed down with free flow calamansi spritzer, very refreshing...

I guess you could order Kilkennys to wash down your meal...too...very pub-like atmosphere, mainly westerners there...

Promo until end may

Elaine said...

Mmmm...craaaabbbbb....It's been a while since i had crabs. My favorite are salted egg crabs, even before it was the craze in Msia. I'm so craving for some now....

Thanks for dropping by my flog. I replied your question there if you want to check it out again. And I would like to add you to my list of blogs that I visit, you can do the same with mine if you want..:)

Rasa Malaysia said...

You try the local bisquick using my recipe and see jadi or not. They were quite good, the cheddar bay biscuits..