Friday, August 11, 2017

Gobble Gobble At Temptations, Renaissance Hotel KL

What a strange name, I thought to myself, immediately associating the word with turkeys, who purportedly go gobble gobble by way of speech.  Whilst I've said time and again, I am not a buffet fan, (at my age, one has to very selective of what one consumes, and every bite must be worth the calories, so excuse me if I sound fussy), I was quite intrigued by the fact that the buffet is only RM80 nett, for the promotional months presumably celebrating the nation's birthdays. (two birthdays, one on 31st August, freedom from the shackles of the British imperialists, and 16th September again, Malaysia day).

Anway, the promotion goes runs from 1st August to 30th September, and is available Thursdays to Saturdays.  The good news for winos is, that for RM66 nett extra, you can opt for free flow house wine.  Sounds like a dietary disaster to me, free flow food and wine.

In addition to the buffet, Temptations is also showcasing some new items in their ala carte menu. starting with the Rendang Pizza...

Word of caution, it can come across as a tad spicy.  The "rendang", well, not really rendang as we know it in its traditional form, is a nice change to the usual toppings.  Personally I found the base a bit too thick, and after eating a slice, I felt the dough expanding within.

Tagliatelle Turandot, RM49, Tiger prawns, squid, mussels, fish, chilli tomato olive salsa. Considering the amount of seafood, it does sound reasonable.

Renaissance Burger, RM48, 200gm of Angus beef....

RHKL Supreme Chicken Breast, RM46, with polenta cake, green beans and corn demi glace.  I am sooooo not a chicken breast person, so you won't find me ordering this.


I love how the humble Hainanese Chicken Rice is now a staple in almost every 5 star hotel coffee house, but I don't love how it's priced.  RM48 for this.  Well, I suppose if you use real free range kampung chicken, and the finest quality of rice, AND if its done the real way, ie cooked in chicken fats, then throw in the hotel ambience and perhaps, its ok.  Or if you convert it to foreign currency like AUD or GBP, then it's almost "cheap".

Nicoise Salad, looks like more nicoise than salad, ...haha... Sesame Crusted Tuna and a hint of green.  RM38

Their signature baked Cheesecake.RM39.

I loved this refreshing drink of lemon grass, mint and sour plum they were serving, I'm not sure if it's part of the normal buffet.  Add a dash of bacardi and you have a nice Mojito.

In the buffet line up, this was my favourite dish, the stewed Lamb Shank.  So tender and falling off the bone.

The other usual buffet fare stuff, oysters, cold prawns, chilli crab, roasted root vegetables...

Myriad desserts...





The barbeque station, with an adequate selection of seafood and meat....

Every Malaysian buffet's must have dish....

Another dish I thought was rather good was the traditional Malay style ox tail soup.  What's the diff?  Well, the western style seems to be thicker, and more stew like, whereas this is more of a clear broth, once you've worked your way through all the natural oils.

Popiah Station is always popular.


Noodle Station...


More desserts...



Pasta Station

Considering I paid close to RM50 for a fish head curry lunch at some nondescript mamak place, I'd say RM80 nett for this feast is a STEAL!!! I'd personally zero into the lamb shank, oxtail, popiah, and oysters, and be quite content.


Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Corner of Jalan Sultan Ismail & Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
T 603.2716.9959 F 603.2716.9987

No comments: