Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Baby's Birthday Cake

My darling baby girl turned ONE yesterday. The hotel we were having dinner at, Equatorial Bangi, was providing a cake, so initially I thought there was no need to make one, but the night before, guilt struck me like lightning strikes a sinner, so I decided to whip up a simple butter cake for lunch, so that we could at least have a lunch celebration at home.

Haha, I know the decorations are a bit out of season, but we had these beautiful jelly bean lollipops hanging around since the yuletide, and well, it's almost easter, so they had to be used up quickly. For the butter cake, I used all the supposed premium ingredients; ie, golden churn butter, and pillsbury flour.

Verdict: Well, I am not sure exactly what constitutes a perfect butter cake texture. With those ingredients, you cant really go wrong as far as taste is concerned. It was very fragrant, and rich, and to me, the texture was okay, but my official cake taster said her texture was different. Does anyone have a sure proof butter cake recipe, and what temperature should the butter be for these kinda cakes?



13 comments:

Tummythoz said...

Merry B'day, Mei Mei!

Babe_KL said...

Happy Belated Burpday Mei Mei!!!

i usually use this recipe, always work out fine. i like my cake not overly dry, slightly moist.
http://babeinthecitykl.blogspot.com/2006/06/marble-cake.html

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

roflmao. santa claus! rudolph! is that frosty at the back?! Good thing mei mei is just one, huh?

MeiyeN said...

happy belated birthday to your sweetie!!!! my oh my, nice cake!!!!!!!! you got to bake one for me months from now okay? :p

wmw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wmw said...

Merry Christmas ....oops, Happy Belated Birthday Mei Mei! But am sure the fact papa specially made her a cake(eventhough there was already one) made her eyes well up with loving tears . And that's more than great enough!

Anonymous said...

fbb let's see u do this for ur kids till dey r 40 yrs & beyond! dat wld make u, wat? 80!?!

Blessed Belated B'day Mei2!

Btw, imagine how i felt when i read about ur Ladida Lafite & den immeadiately after dat my wife said she was at Lafite having ladida staff lunch!! Arrgh!! the pain ... to know wat tasted gud n wat didn't, but didn't get to try!!!

ps. wifey tried the tenderloin & tot the same as you did abt the tatse. sigh ... gud steak is hard to find these days.

Anonymous said...

FBB, Happy belated birthday to your darling ger!

If you don't mind me asking, can I ask for your butter cake recipe? I remember you had a post on making butter cake before. I am also searching for THE butter cake recipe. I know you bake for a living, so if cannot, it's ok. Thanks.

boo_licious said...

Happy Birthday Mei Mei! Such a sweet daddy to make a cake for his little darling. Am searching for the right texture butter cake too, S has been pursuing the same as she promised someone to make cupcakes for their 1st mth baby thingy.

fatboybakes said...

from mei mei: thank you all for your birthday wishes. my dad threw a 1st birthday party for all my siblings, but only a family dinner for me, the the least he can do is jolly well bake me a cake. i shall overlook the outdated yuletide decorations, as the cake was delicious.

from FBB to Kat: haha, KAT, i do not bake for a LIVING!!! its a hobby.

from memory, here's the recipe:
1 tin golden churn - 340gm
1 cup sugar - this is the bare minimum oridi la, actually i think its meant to be 2 cups.
8 eggs - prob can cut down to 6
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder, sifted with the flour

i think that's it. cream butter and sugars, add eggs one by one by one, then stir/fold in flour.

anyone care to share theirs? babe, thanks, i also have the agnes chang book. i try not to use vanilla essence for cakes that i eat myself...(must be either extract, or pod..ahem).

GFAD said...

Really? I thought it's your main business as you seem to be taking specialty classes, buying baking paraphernalia, busy with so many orders, etc.

Many thanks for your recipe. Will try it as soon as I can as I have a tin of golden churn lying around.

GFAD said...

Just read through your recipe again. Cake pan size - 22cm? We bake at 180 C ? For how long?

Rarebeet said...

Wow thats a lotta eggs! The recipe I have is quite similar to Babe's but has even less sugar. Got the recipe from newspaper by a lady who makes butter cakes for a living. Er, I got to go look for it, will email you.