Friday, June 25, 2010

Hot Can, Can Hot ah?

When I first got the invitation from Nazeen of Mongoose, the PR company (not the animal that kills snakes) that does Time Out KL, for the introduction of HOT CAN, I mentally pictured a row of hot french dancers doing the Can Can...ala Moulin Rouge.

Actually, I had NO idea what we were in for.... was it a launch of a coffee? A food review? (in Havana, Changkat Bt Bintang)....and not only was I blur in that department, when I arrived, I noticed the place was called Havana, and not Little Havana....and I distinctly recall seeing the words LITTLE Havana in the invite, so panic!!! Called Ciki, but no reply. Thankfully, Pure Glutton answered the phone, and I was at the right place. Little Havana grew up over the years, and is now Havana.

After some finger food of crabcakes and fried chicken wings, the CEO of Hotcans was invited to give a speech. Dato Kenneth Cole, if I am not mistaken, his name was. Anyway, to my surprise, it is actually a Malaysian born and bred invention. (the Cans, not the CEO). Basically, as the banner says, it is about self heating drinks.

He demonstrates to us, how with the push of one "button" at the base of the can, and a few shakes, voila, a piping hot drink.

An intriguing mechanism, within the can, that basically uses the basic reaction of lime(I think it must be quicklime, calcium oxide) and water, to produce heat. Exothermic reactions, all of you who have forgotten your KIMIA 101. I've seen vats of boiling lime on construction sites, back when I was a lai soi lou (concrete pourer). At this point, I was still an unbeliever, and imagined a lukewarm can of latte, and wondering what good that was.


Hookk here trying his hand at shaking the can vigorously till it "STEAM". A clever contraption at the base of the can works in such a way that it breaks the seal between the lime and the water, creating a mini stove within the can, to heat up the drink. AND, the temperatures actually rise quite high!!!!! After 3 minutes of vigorous shaking, you get a drink that can quite easily scald your lips.

I WAS NOW A BELIEVER!!!!! IT WORKS!!! Amazing. Teckiee was already making plans to get a few for her camping trips. Youth of today. Nothing like starting a big bonfire in the tropical jungles during a camping trip, rather than relying on modern technology.


The drinks come in 3 flavours for now, Latte, Mocha, Hot Chocolate. I am not sure where you can buy them, but they retail for approx RM6 per can.

It was a fun night out, with the many usual suspects, BabeKL, PureGlutton, Chocaholic, Ciki, Nipple Joe, Teckiee, Alexandra of Fried Chillies, and met some new people, like Chaokar.

Well, I have to say, I AM impressed. I think it will do well in the west, esp in winters. (apparently there's already been an order by Walmart).

Thanks Nazeen for the invite!

29 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

They're not cheap, though. I saw them retailing at over RM8 per can at the supermarket. I hope someone develops a cold can technology. I like iced coffee. Looks like you had a fun night. :-)

Pureglutton said...

Wow - you are fast, FBB! Must have missed blogging so much eh?! Yeah, i think a coldcan works much better here - i want icecold mocha!
Err... how come we became "suspects" huh?

aly said...

OMG I didn't know you were going! I was supposed to go but got stuck at shoot... aiyooooooo

Sean said...

is it too late to join them as a business partner before they make their billions? :D

J said...

Wow! FBB - you are so fast!
(Eh, don't spoil market lah :P)

gfad said...

Kenneth Cole? Not designer of hot shoes and bags meh? He reminds me of Amitabh Bachan.

Sounds like an excellent invention to bring to the desert. People like to go camping in the desert during winter and it does get challenging trying to gather firewood in the sand dunes.

Go, ask them to distribute to AD. I got contact for one of the biggest retailers in the country..

iamthewitch said...

Interesting can drink! Was the can hot to touch after shaking? I would imagine this to be very popular during winter (in countries with 4 seasons) :)

Chaokar said...

hey,

nice meeting you too.
and i'm honoured to steal a bite off that flourless brownie you baked. love it!

Ry

worldwindows said...

Retailing for RM8, my son draw my attention to it. He likes to spend my money but actually balked at the price!

qwazymonkey said...

Ah Pa, I miss you lah. Long time no see you. Didn't help that I couldn't make it for the event.

But ur damn fast! Anyway, wondering when they'll make heated can soups or food for that matter.

JRmy said...

Very innovative product this, waiting till the day hot pack bakuteh comes to the market.

eatbitemunch said...

Reminds me of a video I saw of a Instant Katsu Curry pack. Interesting.

ciki said...

amazing huh?! i too thought it might be lukewarm.. and then i burnt mah lips.. :P

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

eh who cut the can for u to c? didnt c that can..

i thought his name was kenneth koh, thats y i was scratching my head when a kuai lou came up on the stage..somemore dato ok. dont pray pray.

Unknown said...

I failed Kimia 101... anyone care to educate me?

Isn't this how the military heats up their food also?

fatboybakes said...

frat, of cors its NOT how the military heats their food. we have full fledged kitchens during warfare. fighting men have to time to cook.

nipples, my bad, its dato kenneth kold apparently. you were high on beer ah? how could you miss the dissected can.

fatboybakes said...

ciki, you burnt your lips? wow, hotlips for hotcans. i thought you didnt even open yours. (can, not lips).

eatbitemunch, thanks for dropping by. whats this curry thing?

fatboybakes said...

quirky, hahah, at the moment, there's a big HALAL logo on their products, so i doubt you'll be seeing BKT anytime soon.

monkey boy, hot soup is in the pipeline, or in the can line, in this case.

fatboybakes said...

world windows, long time no see. i'd balk too at RM8.

chaokar, the pleasure was mutual. glad you liked my humble offering.

fatboybakes said...

iamthewitch, the can gets warm, but coz its insulated, otherwise, yeah, it'll be burning hot!!! i can imagine sipping a can of hot chocolate on a cold wintry day in central park....watching the kids ice skate and the squirrels shiver.

gfad, yahor, he does look like amitach... will hook you up with the relevant people. dont forget me when you're rich and famous coz of this.

fatboybakes said...

J, i'm so fast? ahem, are you referring to my 10km run?

sean, hahaa, can hook you up with their PR.

fatboybakes said...

aly dahlink, SHOOT!!!! wish you were there.

pureglutton, yalar, if i dont blog fast fast, no one will read la, how to compete with all you luminaries.

Unknown said...

I get all my education from youtube and Google... and this is what I saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uKB_IFIkMo

Kenny Mah said...

@LL: Cold can technology? Don't they call that refridgeration? :P

@FBB: This reminds me of the heated can drinks from vending machines in Japan - love the fact I can get hot drinks so easily anywhere in Tokyo at any hour of the day! :)

fatboybakes said...

frat, guffaw, that is suchhh a stooopid video!!! yeah, like they'll be skulking around looking for enemies just a moment before, and then now sit down, the BOTH of them, unarmed, to have a hot meal. i couldnt roll my eyes enough!!! GUFFFAWWWWW!!!! and i love the "no smell" part, coz the food they were eating looked quite "smellable".

LFB, we can get hotdrinks here easily too mah, except our vending machines are called mamaks.

Andrew said...

Yo man,

Andrew here :)

Nice meeting you during the event. Take care bro!

vialentino said...

can i have one for collection...kekeke.

feifeipinky said...

Dear Fatboy...haha..thanks for the sharing. i bought a can of choc & tried before i read this via ur facebook.
finally understand how the machanism works...at first i thought it was some chemical reaction inside the choc after a push...wahaha.
interesting! oya, fyi...jaya grocer is selling at RM8.80 each can.

Unknown said...

I have called and e-mail HotCan looking to buy some Hot Chocolate to try in the United States. I get no return calls or e-mails. Does any one know where to buy this stuff in the United States.