Tuesday, June 01, 2010

What To Do WIth Your Overbeaten Cream....

Actually I have a few epic posts in the pipeline, in the proportions of a mini novella kind of thing. But one of the 7 cardinal sins have invaded me, ...sloth, and I am completely under its spell. So, I thought just to make an appearance, in case my adoring fans think I'm ailing, (it's like how rumours of Deng Xiao Peng's death forced him to make a public appearance just to prove he's alive)....

So children, the topic for today is, WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR OVERBEATEN CREAM. And I mean whipping cream, that is overwhipped. Cream is as sensitive as a neurotic woman. It has to be carefully watched, and once past that point of no return, is no longer useful for its original intention. However, QUITE by accident, I discovered, to my delight, that overwhipped cream need not be thrown away, and you can make a rather delicious homemade butter.

So, HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BUTTER? Basically, you overwhip the cream, until it curdles, and separates.

Photobucket
Overbeaten cream look a bit like scrambled eggs.

Photobucket
Continue whipping (I'm using the whisk attachment of the magimix here, but you can use the normal whisk in your cake mixer, apparently) and you will see the separation of church and state... ooops, I mean curd and whey. The watery part is buttermilk.

Photobucket
Drain the buttermilk and continue whisking. The buttermilk can be used for a number of recipes. Buttermilk is VERY expensive if bought from the supermarket, about RM16 per 1 litre carton.

Photobucket
Continue churning till you get this gorgeous creamy butterlike consistency. It will be the consistency of thawed butter. I usually like to drizzle some salt into the mixture, because I HATE HATE HATEEEE unsalted butter.

Photobucket
Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate, and soon you'll have LOVELY homemade butter. I've made this three times already, because subconsciously, with this new found knowledge, I am even more lax when whipping cream.... so much so the kid asks me each time I make butter if I overwhipped the cream on purpose, or by accident.

He shakes his head in disbelief when I say its by accident.

27 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

haha knowing you, yeah i might have shaked my head too but its amazing how something so crappy looking can finally turn out to be something so gorgeous, a bit like the ugly duckling bcoming the swan.

Kenny Mah said...

Butter! REAL, Home-made Butter! Whee... Now, write a sequel about the many uses of butter aside from baking... ;)

J said...

Oooh.. luverly!

Hmmmm, I guess this is akin to broken eggs to omelettes?... Will keep this in mind if I ever overwhip any cream... :)

thule a.k.a leo said...

I rarely eat bread these days... so no butter :(

Ciki said...

Cream is as sensitive as a neurotic woman/wife. It has to be carefully watched, and once past that point of no return, is no longer useful for its original intention! good one!

but if she's neurotic she'll keep asking you to stop watching her :P

Sean said...

here's a silly question from someone who's never touched a cake mixer: can that cream be turned into ice cream, instead of butter? just wondering, cos the overbeaten cream actually looked like vanilla ice cream to me =)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

will it be significantly cheaper to make your own butter? I doubt it, right, coz cream is quite pricey too? Eh, next time you make your own butter, beat in some shaved truffle or truffle oil lah. It will smell heavenly.

Pureglutton said...

It's too expensive to intentionally overwhip cream to make butter! 1L cream costs about RM15-16... and how much butter will that yield, hehe?! So ok la, if it's an accidental overwhip, at least now we know not to throw it away!
Good tip... but I knew about this before u posted this wor *wink* got tipped by u that day!

gfad said...

Butter looks pretty in that second last photo. Reminds me of those fancy butter curls where they used to serve separately in a small dish in old-fashioned restaurants with white linen napkins and white-gloved waiters.

Salted butter is such a rare thing nowadays. :(

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Next time you overbeat your cream hor, gimme a call and I'll show up at your doorstep with a nice loaf of bread! Hehehehe... =P

Julian Si said...

I shall bring croissants, my fave ;-)

You are THE Si-Fu lar!

fatboybakes said...

jules, hahah, i AM hor!!! bow bow.

bangsar babe, you can afford to eat a whole kg of butter, you so slim!

fatboybakes said...

gfad, salted butter isnt that rare here in our 3rd world country. in fact, on supermarket shelves, unsalted is rare. but yeah, in hotels and restaurants, whatsss with the unsalted man!!!! however, its easily rectified...just add salt la.

pure glutton, that's why the post title is not "HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BUTTER" ma. its not very cost effective. in fact, not at all.

fatboybakes said...

thamby, good tip. let me go dig some truffles from my garden. will let you know how it goes. can i use my gillette to shave?

sean, cannot la, it may "look" like vanilla ice cream, but the texture of overbeaten cream is completely off...its grainy, lumpy, and quite an awful sight.

fatboybakes said...

ciki, why cant a woman, be more like a man? - Professor Henry Higgins

thule, wah, so healthy ah.

fatboybakes said...

J, yes, it is a rather useful thing to know. so much wasted cream in my life...if only i could turn back time.

LFB, what tok you? there are tons of use for butter APART from baking...i think everyone knows that...no need to write a post about it...maybe i'll do one on how to use buttermilk.

nipples, wah, soooo poetic...ugly duckling become swan.... bow bow..

Amelia said...

wow, now i dun have to throw my overwhipped cream. :D

btw, you can substitute buttermilk with yogurt and milk. Substitute for 1 cup of buttermilk: 2/3 cup of yogurt and 1/3 milk.

FBB said...

amelia, yeah, dont have to throw away. yeah, you can also chuck in some lemon juice into milk for instant buttermilk substitutes. hence, i dun understand why its so blardy exp. and frankly, i tried a recipe with milk and buttermilk, and couldnt tell the diff...

gasp, word verification is tenesu!!! isnt that dairy in malay?

qwazymonkey said...

So does that mean I should beat a neurotic woman in the future too? Perhaps I can whip her into the undisputed queen of butter herself, Nigella?

Ciki said...

ooo!

how to handle a woman.. there's a way said the wise old man.. (form where ar :P ??)

fatboybakes said...

ciki, isnt the way to a woman's heart thru her breasts?

monkey, ooo, i'd like to see you whip a woman ....

jason said...

And it'll turn yellow itself too? Cool!

Volvoxx said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the great tip!

Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flower said...

Didnt know you can make butter like this. Usually I will just throw away the cream. Terima kasih FBB, I will tiru you...

Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elaine said...

LIFESAVER :D Overbeat my cream twice now whilst making pavlova and my grandma wouldn't hear of it when I said I wanted to chuck out rm38 worth of whipping cream... Thanks!