Monday, February 25, 2008

Domestic Goddess' Mint Choc Chip Cookies

Since I couldn't get a massage appointment with masseur of my choice, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I caved in to my kid's request for me to make chocolate chip cookies. There was one particular recipe from Nigella Express that I have been meaning to try, because of the mint chocolate glaze, that sounded fascinating.

Anyway, these are REALLY easy to make, and I made them in the food processor. Honestly, the whole process, from measuring to popping them in the oven, took less than 10 minutes. Then again, I do work faster than most other people, ahem.

Adapted from Nigella Express

Ingredients:
100gm butter
100gm brown sugar (original recipe 150gm)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or essence also can la in this case, it all evaporates anyway)
1 large egg

150 gms flour
35 gms cocoa powder sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

200gm choc chips

I find it easier to break them into 4 separate group of ingredients.

1. Blitz the butter and sugar in a food processor, until creamy. (the way I identify this in my machine, is, initially, the butter and sugar clump up. Once it evenly mixed, it forms a ring of lovely butter sugar mixture around the insides of the bowl)

2. Add in the egg and essence. Pulse a bit until well mixed.

3. Pulse in the dry ingredients. It should form a lovely cookie dough, that looks like a thick choc ice cream. Stir in the chocolate chip cookies until evenly incorporated. If you are using a small food processor, I guess you'll have to scoop out the dough into a bigger bowl and mix in the chocolate chips.

4. I used a 15ml rounded tablespoon, (those half round ones) as prescribed by Goddess, and managed to get 22 cookies. (book says makes 26). I guess mine were heaped tablespoons.

5. Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 12-14 minutes.

6. Let the cookies cool in the tray for a few minutes. Do not be alarmed if they come out really soft...cookies are like that. They're soft when hot, and get hard when cold. Much like nipples.

7. Transfer to cooling rack to completely cool. Then sprinkle the glaze onto the cookies while they're cooling.

Making the glaze.

75 grams sifted icing sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted
2 tablespoons boiling water
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract/essence

1. Mix all in a glass bowl, until all ingredients form a lovely chocolatey glazy look. Zap in microwave for 30 seconds, (or take the hard way out and use a saucepan over low heat), to give it that final mix.

2. Use a teaspoon to zig zag the glaze over the cookies.




Verdict: Well, try to use bittersweet chocolate chip, or lessen the sugar. I found mine a tad too sweet, but lately I am finding MOST recipes, if not ALL, too sweet. However, it was a hit with the kids, and my son, thinking he's Michelin, bestowed upon me another imaginary star.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Measuring to the oven in ten minutes? Wow. I'd prolly take ten minutes just to read and figure out the recipe. But I guess that's why I'm not a baker (or food blogger either). Hah.

What I do do well is drool at yummy pics... *drooooollllsssss*

Anonymous said...

Trust you to come up with the nipple comparison.. :D

My dotter's been bugging me to buy choc chip cookies. Time to bring out the kenwood. How do they taste like without the glaze? No way is she going to have toothpaste on her cookie.. :P

LianneK said...

the cookies looked awesome! knowing Ms. Lawson, everything is about speed and taste. I likeeee.

snowdrop said...

looks yummy, FBB!! thanks for posting the recipe - i wanna try, and i'm too cheap to buy this book :)

snowdrop said...

oh, forgot to ask - does the glaze harden when it's cool? or does it remain sticky (therefore hard to store)?

fatboybakes said...

hi snowie, i dunno lor, whether the glaze hardens, coz them cookies finished before we could store. but its not flowy and wet la.

imbitchy, yar, she's so efficient...that's why i lurve her.

kat, wait ah, tomoro i'm gonna make another batch, coz son complained this was too chocolatey, although he gave me an imaginary michelin star. i'm gonna try a different recipe.

kennymah, you too modest la. maybe what you mean is you'll take 10 minutes to read it out loud in a "reading" kind of way.....

JOjo said...

The Cookies look fascinating and rich in Choc! Send me drooling in front of the monitor~
10 minutes? Hmm, i think probably if i own such powerful processor.Haha,Expensive la, the one you got!

daphne said...

i'm always on the lookout for new cookie recipe to try and this looks like one of them! The mint glaze certainly made me sit up! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The photographs are marvelous dahlink. You can be assured that I won't try this recipe, no matter how easy it is, coz I've come to realise that we were all put on this earth with different roles to play. Some bake, and others eat. I admire.

Anonymous said...

I made a batch yesterday - doubled the recipe, sans glaze. Dreamy, dreamy, dreamy...

I made them big (3inches big) and got 36 pcs. Froze half of them. Somehow it felt healthier to stop at just one.. altho it was equivalent to 3 regular sized cookies!! :D

I liked the texture - not too crunchy, not too chewy.

But if you have a recipe for regular choc chip cookies (as in not choc choc chip), please do share!

Precious Pea said...

Aiyooo....everything seems so easy for you, and I agree with Kenny, it would take me 10 mins or perhaps more to study the recipe. Am just not born to bake! SigH!!

HairyBerry said...

a quickie, eh? i enjoyed Step 6 the most for it's simple, no-frills, humanistic approach. would be even better if the goddess utter those words herself...not sure if "express"'s on tv though.

fatboybakes said...

nic, yup, express is a tv show, just that its on the slow boat coming here. err, i have to claim credit for the simple no frills humanistic approach, as those are my words, not ms lawsons. though God knows, she is inordinately qualified to talk about mammaries and the like.

precious, no lah, it comes with practice.

kat, no glaze? that's like eating sandwiches with no butter... your kid doesnt like mint? strange thing, mint. i myself cant see HOW anyone can NOT LIKE MINT, but there are hordes out there who dont.

lyrical, photo compliments from the photography maharani herself? wow, i must frame up this post, complete with comments.

daphne, glad you like it, and let me know when you try it.

jojo, no la, i'm sure i could do it in my RM228 kenwood oso la. no need to add another zero to be quick. though of course, it helps.

ai wei said...

wahhh! this is so yummy! is it tough?! cz the procedure soundsss complicated! so hopping to try this!!!

fatboybakes said...

ai wei, nope its very very easy. trust me. if you are using a cake mixer, its just as easy.