Monday, May 17, 2010

The AFC (Affable, Fun and Charming) Laura Calder

Now, far be it for me to solicit an invitation to any function, but sometimes, all dignity is thrown to wind, (much like our politicians), and we stoop to levels so low, it would need a ladder to reach a snake's belly. I can think of several scenarios, when I would stoop to shamelessly solicit an invite.... a chance to meet my goddess, Nigella Lawson, perhaps the chance to meet Martha Stewart, MAYBE Gordon Ramsay, probably Nipple Joe's wedding, ..... and most recently, the chance to meet Laura Calder of AFC's French Cooking At Home. To be honest, I stumbled across her quite by accident.

I had my astromax set to record Anna Olson's SUGAR series, on Fridays 9-9.30pm, and unbeknownst to me, that ended, and was replaced with Laura. I remember vividly her first episode, which was making choux pastry, a subject close to my own heart. I honestly thought she was based in France. The opening clip with the French ditty in the background, and her cycling through the meadows, which I assumed was part of greater Gaul, all led me to believe French cooking at home was shot in France. Apparently not.

Anyway, so, when I first heard she was coming to town (my bro in law works for BMW, so I knew a few months ago they were thinking of bringing her in), I shamelessly told him, "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INVITE ME". Alas, since I do not possess one of those exorbitantly priced automobiles, I did not really qualify. So, the next best thing was to turn to the Goddesses of the Food Blogging Realm, Boolicious and Thamby.

Boo magnanimously shook her head, the way a goddess heavy heartedly rejects the requests of the tribal chiefs to send rain, because the tribe had been EVIL, kinda way, and said, "alas, my child, tis not within my powers to grant unto thee thy wish"

... leaving the other goddess... who one day said, "soo, you want to see Laura Calder eh? HOW BADLY do you want it?".... All decorum and composure flew out the window as I wailed, PLEEEEEZEEEEE, YOU GOTTTA LET ME COME, PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE, I BEG YOUUUUU, I'LL DO SUTTEE FOR YOU.... I'LL THROW MYSELF IN THE FLAMES.... JUST GIVE ME THE DARN SEAT OKAY!

Despite appearing evil, She is actually quite kind, and after much grovelling, she acquiesed, and YAY, my ticket to Laura was secured. Thanks to AWhiffofLemongrass and Alice George PR Company, and Guldip, bless her.

So, joining the rakyat, I hop onto the KL Monorail, happy as a lark, as I make my way to Berjaya Times Square, to the Berjaya Tastings on the 14th, the venue for the event. Familiar faces are there, ...Aly of RedFM, my favourite DJ, my dear Boolicious, Hooi Khaw, Mrs Frat Mustard, and Superwilson.

They announce her arrival.....I think EVERYONE'S first thought was, WOW, SHE IS TALL!!!! I felt like returning to the Shire, to my hobbit hole the minute she walked in. Almost regal. And oh so very charming. And stunningly photogenic.

Photobucket

Photobucket
She starts off with the apple cream tart. I noticed most TV chefs start off with dessert. She made it look simpler than cooking instant noodles. Rub flour and butter, line pan, whisk cream and cream cheese, fill pan, line with pre cut apples, sprinkle almonds, and pop into oven. Of course, these professional chefs have the ready made product, as everything is fast forwarded in real life, and tah dah, the finished product.

Photobucket
The finished apple cream tart...picture perfect.

Photobucket
Then she cooks the Asparagus served with orange sauce and shallots. Blanched asparagus, punctuated with witty repartee and culinary tales that enraptured the audience, a zested orange, and a revelation that her fridge is full of bald oranges, that have been shaved, a bit of waffle here and there, and presto, we have our appetizers....

Photobucket
Asparagus, in individual servings, for guests to taste. Was this really cooked by her? Well, we wouldn't know would we.

Photobucket
This, we know for a fact, IS cooked by her but we don't get to try it, as its for display.

Photobucket
"in my country, we call this a baseball bat".. she proceeds to prepare the Steak Au Poivre with Potato Gratin...well, it wasn't quite potato gratin, but more like potato cake. All this was done in less than 10 minutes, I reckon, which really goes to show, cooking can be really quite simple.

Photobucket
This is what we get to try......

Photobucket
And this is what is cooked and plated by Ms Calder herself.

Photobucket
Mrs Fratmustard and Alison Victor of Red FM. Read her story here. She has correctly titled her post A FRENCH AFFAIR WITH LAURA CALDER, which is the proper name for the event.

Photobucket
Superwilson. Don't you just want to pinch those smiley cheeks. (on the face I mean)

Photobucket
Hooi Khaw and friend.

Finally after a Q&A session, where I found out the cycling scene in the beginning credits, was filmed in Nova Scotia, not Bordeaux, she fields our questions with the diplomacy of a politician.

Photobucket


So there we have it, I have finally seen Miss Laura Calder live. Thanks to Thamby and Alice George PR.....

Photobucket

And it may seem ridiculous at MY age, but hey, I simply HAD to get her autograph.....

Photobucket

I slept well that night......


27 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

Such flair, such finesse! (And I'm just talking about FatBoyBakes, not even started on the pretty Ms. Calder...)

:D

Anonymous said...

CY, you are so cute and witty. Didn't see that in you till I started reading your blog. I'm enjoying them ... quietly.

GFAD said...

So akcherly, the reason she was brought in..I mean invited was because..?

Between you, Nigel, Boo and LL, pretty much got Klang Valley's who's who covered hor? :D

And why would you like to see Martha Stewart? She seems so cold. I'd love to spend an afternoon with James Martin and his dogs in his cottage making sweet nut-things.. :D

J said...

Wah. What an adventure!
Thanks for sharing it with us.... :) :)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wow, u put my wedding dinner as one of the things to do, ohh so sweet, im sure i need to put you as the first guest to invite!

y do the prof make it so easy to cook ar..

did she ask you to have a happy cooking? or a happy corking? the second "o" abit the cacat ar haha..

UnkaLeong said...

So artistic hor her handwriting? I absolutely love her TV show =) Larvely post for the affable Ms. Caulder ;)

Unknown said...

Wah... I also want to go!

I love her show too!

fatboybakes said...

keropokman, chis, you going to paris, can eat the real thing.

unka, you larve her show? which part hor? ;)

fatboybakes said...

nipples, yalar, if not invited, then i have to solicit lar. i believe it was cooking, not corking. she doesnt know about our penchant for alcohol.

J, ur velkum

fatboybakes said...

GFAD, quite so, you know nigel, boo and LL, you know all of KL.
re martha, that's why i said perhaps. she does appear aloof, but hey, her recipes WORK.

anonymous, hahahaha, thanks for the compliment, i think. "Didn't see that in you till I started reading your blog." hmmmm... arent i cute and witty in real life? must fire my PR company.

LFB, thank you thank you. one can only aspire to reach your levels of penmanship.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

"Despite appearing evil"??? You piece of sheeeeeetttt! Chis. :-P

Sean said...

she does look really statuesque, like a nordic princess. but i have to confess, being an ignoramus, i had never heard of her until this month. and when i did, i actually thought of laura palmer, of twin peaks, "who killed..." fame :D

Ciki said...

WOW AHPA!! is really is picture perfect. In fact ALL the food looks great.

How did it taste?

thule a.k.a leo said...

Ah... even at my age, I would have no qualm of asking autograph.. but I will only ask for one and only one person... Jacky CHeung... LOL!!

Swee San said...

omg she made the same face when she took out the apple pie for us too !! so nais u got your ticket free :(

Babe_KL said...

thanks for another hilarious, dramatic and lovely post :p

fatboybakes said...

babekl, aww, you like ah? thanks. i'm honored.

swee san, maybe all these celeb chef got rehearsed faces one hor.... chis!

fatboybakes said...

thule, i can think of a few ppl i would shamelessly try to get an autograph from...

ahmei ah, dont ask me difficult questions in public. DM me la! chis!

fatboybakes said...

sean, guffaw, its not surprising, i havent heard of most of the ppl on AFC; as i said, it was quite serendipitious that i discovered her.

thamby, just checking to see if you read what i write. there's not an evil bone in you opcors. chortle. snigger. guffaw. ROFLMAO. BUWAHAHAHHAAHAHHA!

WP said...

grats.. you gave me a good laugh in the midst of studying for my exams...

vialentino said...

hey fatboybakes....how r u? i suppose to attend this exclusive review but was held in the noon, could not make it...can see from ur pics...such a great and grand event....

fatboybakes said...

via, hi there! thanks for dropping by! it was quite enjoyable la. but your venezualan class looked very fascinating hor. mae ho looks damn good there. hey, i link you ok?

tummy rumble, hahah, good luck in your exams, glad i could provide some mild entertainment. i hated studying...i still get nightmares about exams.

vialentino said...

sure sure , link me...i will follow ur site as well.

thanks for ur compliment...it was my first cooking class i have attended in my life...truly enjoy cooking class....better than my college course...shud learn cooking last time instead...

PureGlutton said...

Hmmm... so asking about HOW the food tasted is a "difficult" question eh? Why difficult ahh? I also want to know mah - good or not, hehe?!
I didn't think paying RM388 (for 2) to attend this was worthwhile wor ;-)

superwilson said...

REally long time no see. Out of retirement to see you guys. Feel the honour? :)

FBB said...

wow, you did that to see US?? i am feeling the LOVE, superwilson!!! i'm glad i put up a solo portrait of you!!! ;)

pure glutton, wah, RM388 for two is for the white card BEEMER owners...wah, bow bow bow....

vialentino, at least your cooking class was hands on. this was more a demo la. fun hor. but actually i see the chefs in the kitchen, quite hard life la.

jason said...

Love her show! But couldn't make it to the event - balik kampung to celebrate mom's birthday... T.T

But at least got pix to see! Thank you thank you!