Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Villa Danielli, Sheraton Imperial.... Now If I Had A Baby

.....when I first stepped foot into Villa Danielli.......the child would be entering first year university this year, or next. You see, its been around forever. I remember attending my dear friends' engagement party there in 1994. And those days, when the competition was far less, Villa Danielli was like, WAHHHHHH......

Mind you, that it has managed to survive all these years speaks volumes. Recently, I knew of at least two people who held their 50th birthdays there. So, when I got the invitation by Aly of Red FM to join her and all my favourite people for a food review there, I leapt at the opportunity faster than a Malaysian politician grabs a highway project.

With the Red FM people, or more specifically, Aly, you know tonight's gonna be a good night. To add even more crimson to the canvas, the inimitable Terry and their boss, Hawa, also graced the occasion, and drum roll, Lil Chef Michael Elfwing himself in a rare cameo appearance. Cindy, our delightful hostess from Sheraton, was wonderful, and oh so friendly. And of course, Fratmustard's alter ego, Jek, who forgot to bring Frat along.

The night got off to an interesting start, when Terry walked in and regaled us with tales of stuff being shoved up nether regions. It was an Eel Wind that blew. For the full story, which cannot really be repeated in a PG13 blog, read it HERE. Of course, with Terry's narrative skills, which left nothing to the imagination, it was a rather delightful amuse bouche....

Nothing like breaking the ice, if there was any, with a glass of this:

Photobucket



Photobucket
The compulsory photo op, the Red FM DJs and the Executive Chef Rajesh. I wonder if Chefs feel intimidated when other Chefs are in the house. ...like the one in the middle in the top row of the collage below.

Photobucket
Terry, very insightfully pointed out that all the lights and lamps in the place reminded him of Udders and Stuff. Hence the picture of Aly and him both reaching out to tickle the ni**le.

Photobucket

The happy faces of all the guests, and the hostess and the Executive Chef.

Photobucket
We start of with a Margharita Pizza. Of course, the first dish inevitably is good, because we are a hungry lot. With a glass of prosecco in hand, and pizza in the other, how can we go wrong.

Photobucket

Another product from their woodfired oven.... mascarpone and black truffle pizzas. Who can resist the aromatic lure of black truffle. It's dizzying and intoxicating. I wish there was more.

Photobucket
Slice raw beef with wild rocket salad and mustard dressing,fresh button mushroom with parmesan cheese and basil
( Bolla Pinot Grigio Delle Venezie IGT Pinot Grigio,2008 )

The raw beef was tender, and gave what was essentially a salad, a nice texture. I found the mushrooms a bit on the salty side, probably due to the parmesan cheese, but I love mushrooms anyway, salty or otherwise.


Photobucket
Squid ink fettuccine with aglio olio seafood
(Ruffino Orvieto Classico DOCG Umbria, Blend 2008)

It must have taken great courage for whoever it was who decided to try squid ink in their pasta. Like many other foods, I wonder how people ever realised they were edible. Like truffles dug up by a pig. Or pig's fallopian tubes. I must say I quite like squid ink pasta. I don't know what it is, but its beyond my culinary vocabulary to describe it. It's just GOOD.

Photobucket
Grilled king prawn,rocket salad,cherry tomatoes and prawn bisque
(Bolla Valpolicella Classico DOC, Veneto Corvina 2008)
I think this was my favourite dish for the night. The prawn was fresh, and the bisque in which it swam in was most delicious.


Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket
Raspberry sorbet with white rum. Which Han thought was dessert. Han, bless the young lad, is Red FM's new photographer cum weekend DJ. I think when Villa Danielli opened, Han was still not yet in primary school.

Photobucket
Ooooh, rum did you say? Give me more, more, MORE. This palate cleanser was delightfully refreshing, and that rum really added a kick to it.


Photobucket
Braised lamb ossobucco with gremolada served with mashed potato
(Ruffino Aziano Chianti Classico DOCG,Tuscany Sangiovese 2007)

Now, HAD the sorbet BEEN dessert, I think we'd all have been quite happy, for we, or I was, at any rate, really full by this time. And what a pity too. The lamb was falling off the bone, ....but this dish spawned a most fascinating dinner conversation. You see, I was trying to suck the marrow, but to no avail.

Me: Aiya, I tried to suck my marrow, but couldn't get anything out.
Han: [In a helpful tone]. Oh, here, you can suck mine.
Han: Hmm, that came out wrong...
Terry: Hey, I am trying to swallow here.


Cindy meanwhile is probably wondering to herself, "aiyo, what kind of people have I invited" (see pic below)

Photobucket

And then the real dessert came.

Photobucket



Photobucket
Espresso and kahlua flavoured cream cheese with savoiardi biscotti.

Oh? Hmm, I didnt know it was cream cheese, I thought it was Mascarpone. Wow, sure fooled me. I wonder then if I can use cream cheese as a mascarpone substitute for tiramisus. Any dessert with sufficient liquor is a good dessert for me.

A most delightful dining experience, made even more delightful by the sterling company, whose participants spawned guffaws and chortles.

Head over to Villa Danielli for a cosy, unpretentious yet elegant ambience, and good grub to boot.

Thank you, Aly, for having me, and Cindy for your fabulous hosting. And of course to Chef Rajesh for his wonderful menu.


Read Aly's Review HERE.


18 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

yeah i read about the eel and the bowels on the star too!

eh wat child going to uni when u 1st entered villa? me no understand..i know in 1994 i was only 9 yrs old lor..

the food looks gorgeous, wonder why i never stepped foot in here b4..

aly said...

OMG Hilarious as usual! Mr Bakes, you wanna talk about the food on air tomorrow? I can call you... :)

thule a.k.a leo said...

yeah.. actually I am planning to bring Jenn here again! we simply love everything.. the place, food and service here!
But I thought that they would serve their Signature Pizza Villa Danieli :P oh well, it's complimentary so cannot complain much

Sean said...

yikes, the place has been around that long?! u know what's my favourite thing about it ... i work at the sheraton's office block, so villa danielli is a traffic-free elevator ride away. but having said that, i've probably only eaten here a dozen times in the 11 years that i've worked here.
i'm always too terrified to order squid ink pasta for fear that it'll stain my teeth and lips for the entire evening...

Babe_KL said...

OMG joe was only 9 then??? cis!

we used to come here pak tor LOL cos Captn Hook got THE card otherwise i dun think he will ever bring me!

Unknown said...

Hi Mr Bakes,
It was a fabulous, fabulous evening and I'd gladly welcome you guys again, anytime!
Many, many thanks :-) CY

Kenny Mah said...

You know what they say about radio DJs not being lookers, hence they stay off the TV screen? So untrue. These DJs are HOT!! ;)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Doing arithmetics...your friends work fast!

qwazymonkey said...

Oh my, those conversations would never make it on our airwaves! LOL

After being around for so many years, I can only say that I've only been there once.

Ciki said...

i'm trying to SWALLOW here!! guffawwwww :P

J said...

What a night..... :)
Dishy DJs and such yummy food!

fatboybakes said...

J, yalor, dishy DJs and dishes.

ciki, i am merely quoting terry.

fatboybakes said...

monkey, apparently there's a whole list of words that are unspeakable on radio. our poor DJs.

thamby, what arithmetic u tok? if you had five mangoes, and whacked five, how many would you have left?

fatboybakes said...

LFB, err...aly hot la..no comments about terry or han.

Cindy, many thanks. wow, how come so fast you know i've blogged.

fatboybakes said...

sean, hahah, surely a guy of your sophisticated palate would have no fear of squid ink...

babekl, yalar, i tell you...nipples damn young la. awww, so sweet hor hook bring you there. my paktor place was the parkroyal grill, those days. the best prime rib in town.

fatboybakes said...

thule, what is their signature pizza?

aly dahlink, me, on air? oooh, when when?

nipples, i said if i HAD a child when i first stepped into villa danielli, the kid would be in UNI today... chis! aiyo, you were NINE! well, i certainly didnt have any nine year old friends in 1994.

GrapeFruit AD said...

Age is so relative, don't you think? Imagine, your friend is 10 years younger than you. Let's say you are 40 this year. Hanging out with a 30 year old friend is no big deal right? But if this were 20 years earlier, it's almost unthinkable to be having dinner with a 10 year old, eh? :D

And Mr Bakes, a bisque is a smooth creamy soup. Your prawn bisque looks nothing like that. You are cheating all of us!!

Wounded FBB said...

grapefruit anno domini, you accuse me of cheating? chis! UNCLE NIGEL, HEPTTTTTCHHHHHHH, got ppl come to my house and bully me!