Monday, April 13, 2009

Bonjuk....

...Now, that would be a good word for scrabble, all the letters with high score values....the B, the J and the K...

So, one thing about food blogging is, the food blogosphere is such a happy friendly place, everyone's minds are focused on food, and food is a friendly topic. I mean, other blog genres can get quite hostile, such as political blogs, or religious blogs, or even gym blogs. But food, ah, happy times, happy times.

It stands to reason too therefore, that food bloggers are a friendly bunch. As is the case here. For the Nibbleish event recently, I met Memoirs of A Chocoholic, (who wants me to announce that she is single, and in my opinion, VERY ELIGIBLE), and she, Ciki, and me, who meeting for the very first time, got along like house on fire. Oh, she's a friend of Jules, the flogger who churns out posts faster than UTM churns out lawyers....

A few weeks later, I get an sms from her asking Ciki and me to get together gether for lunch. So nice hor.

The venue, Bonjuk, in Desa Sri Hartamas. It didnt occur to me to ask what kind of cuisine it was, the idea of lunching with two hot chicks kinda obviated the need to find out. But yeah, it was to my initial "horror" to find out it was a Korean Porridge (Congee) Place. You see, mentally, I have this idea that porridge is for sick time food. Generally. But actually I am not averse to it. And for this occasion, after a spate of dinners, I was actually grateful for some detoxifying tummy warming comfort food. Harumph, what I wasn't counting on was, CIKI, that CARNIVORE extraordinaire. I guess she needs to fuel that furnace that keeps those legs running at paces that even makes Unkaleong of 6 abs fame seem like a tortoise.

I ordered a chicken ginseng porridge (approx RM12), and Memoirs ordered a mushroom porridge....very healthy....


Photobucket


Photobucket
My chicken ginseng porridge. Hearty, wholesome, makes you feel like cuddling up on a cold winters day....

Photobucket
Kimchi of course...

Photobucket
Salted chicken, as condiment....a bit too salty...

Photobucket
Ciki ordered this rice noodle with chicken and ginseng....which she said was nothing to shout about.

But yeah, just when you thought it was going to be a nice healthy meal, Fiery Furnace Runner here orders one of these!!!

Photobucket

A Korean Hot Pot with the most divine pork ribs, falling off the bone, ......AARGH, there goes the healthy lunch!!!!

Photobucket

The meat was excellent, tender and falling off the bone, and very flavoursome. The accompaniment was some rice flour thingie, like chee cheong fun, only more solid, and yeah, cabbage. The Koreans love their cabbage huh. Yummy. Had I known, I'd have skipped the congee altogether.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Despite moans and groans of how stuffed we were, we still managed to polish off the ribs....bearing testimony to how good they were.



23 comments:

worldwindows said...

Porridge and Noodles! Time to better acquaint with Korean food.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

definitely a place to "detox" until i saw the ribs..

Julian Si said...

Porridge and two hotties, you LUCKY LUCKY man ...

ps - Been there done that, bro.

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/search?q=bonjuk

ToyGirl said...

I've always wanted to try that place, but no kaki. Toyboy not interested in porridge at all. Maybe you can convert him like organic food?

The porridge looks yummy!!!

thule a.k.a leo said...

My Gosh!!! I'm a sucker for pork dishes... lol!!! The pork ribs are like godsent...

Hmmm... time to google this place :)

minchow said...

Haha, I just about groaned with boredom at the first part of your post, my sympathies allayed only because you happened to be in lovely company. But then the hot pot popped up... dee-vine!

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Me no like porridge... =(

Porky hotpot...yup yup yup!!! =D

Ciki said...

lol.. farnee farnee.. nicks fbb's portion of pork ribs & runs away faster than u can say Fiery Furnace Runner ..:P

Sean said...

gosh, this place is still around! somehow i thought it wouldn't last. wonder if the cute owner is still there. :D

qwazymonkey said...

Did someone say pork ribs and cute owner? I'm so going! Who wanna come?

fatboybakes said...

qwazy, hmmm, i didnt see anyone resembling a cute owner.... the cutest ones in the restaurant were sitting opposite me...and next to me...

sean, ah, you're back. how was the you know what? eventful?

ciki, actually ah, for someone with a frame bordering on anorexia, ... you shore can tuck it in lady!!!

bangsar babe, and it was GOOD PORKY TOO!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Carnivores extraordinaire. I'm amazed that you guys even considered a porridge place seeing that there are so many other restaurants out there. Me, I love my porridge, not just on sick days.

UnkaLeong said...

Toygirl, come we go together gether. Still fighting the last bits of a cold. A little ginseng porridge should be good for me ;)

fatboybakes said...

550ml, haha, lucky you didnt fall asleep before reaching the pork ribs then.

thule, i just found out that i am one of the LAST of the food bloggers to have come here...everyone's been here before oridi...

toygirl, got noodles ma....eh, there's a beef place nearby there that serves excellent tongue...

jules, yeah man, i seem to be the last man standing who HASNT tried the place. chis bedebah.

nipples, you've been wat...

worldwindows... check it out la.

Sean said...

eh i was never away lah. and i'm sure you read the newspapers. :D

Ciki said...

fbb - where got skinny.. got meat also wat.. (in certain places!) hahahahahaha

LL: I didn't wanna.. they made me.. :P:P (no la, i did chat with memoirs bout changing venue.. but gave up in the end coz she said the place ALSO GOT PORK ONE CAN ORDER SPARERIBZ...)

see how its done.. trick we with the piggy..

J said...

Wooooi... I didn't ask for an announcement, did I?
*blush*

Life for Beginners said...

Urgles... never tried Korean porridge before... feel so uneducated leh. :P

fatboybakes said...

LFB, i am old enuff to be your father, and I've only just tried it, so dont feel so bad.

J, no meh? what gave me that idea...i coulda SWORN i heard u say something to that effect.

ciki, shush, you notty girl....now u making my mind go to places it shouldnt.

sean, well, ....yeah, i meant figuratively. and yes, we read the papers. must ask you on FB your esteemed opinions...

J said...

You know, it's generally not a good sign when you start hearing voices in your head telling you to do things... :P :P :P

fatboybakes said...

J, like joan of arc hor. some more she got burnt on the stake.

HairyBerry said...

oh, bonjuk's cool. very medicinal as well, if you ask me. that's cos i had a glorious time sitting on my throne after a meal here. in a good way, of course. i think i've been detoxified after that.

oh, and it's good when the food's yummy too!

Rebecca Saw said...

hardly in tat area..that plc & solaris pops up eateries faster than mushrooms!