Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Finding Substitutes


I came across this great site that I reckon is quite useful for the wannabe cook, especially in third world countries where ingredients are not always readily available. It offers you the definitions of foods, and also SUBSTITUTES for them, if the real thing is not available.

An item I've seen in many recipes, but find hard to obtain, without costing an arm and a leg, is BUTTERMILK. (it costs like RM10 for 1 litre) The other ingredient I was looking for was GUM TRAGACANTH, for modelling icing. After reading about it on the internet, I resigned myself to the fact that you will never be able to obtain it here, (since some woman from Las Vegas said she could only find it in Sydney), but to my surprise, it WAS available at cake supply haven, BAKE WITH YEN.

Cooks wannabe, you may thank me at your leisure for this wonderful discovery.

3 comments:

boo_licious said...

You can make your own buttermilk by just adding lemon juice to milk. Otherwise just buy the powder from the bake shops.

fatboybakes said...

thank you boo. that's what the cook's thesaurus said as well. yar, i vaguely recall seeing buttermilk powder in bake wit yen. by the way, you know jess chow ah? (as in know her personally, and not merely thru blog)

boo_licious said...

Yeah, I know her since college days. Heard from her that you go to her church, right?