Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I Keep Forgetting To Bring Camera

Actually I am really bad. I keep forgetting to bring my camera. Had lunch with the lovely duo, Lemongrass and Boolicious recently, (with LL's colleague), at House and Co, ....but I guess I've already blogged about the food there. And whenever I go to Zipangu, I also forget.

Anyway, last Sunday, I was at Kluang Station, and the only reason I had the camera with me was because I needed it in church earlier. And unlike Jackson Kah, and others who has the patience to take pics of every course at wedding dinners, I took one pic of the starter, and forgot about the rest totally. The wedding banquet food at the Concorde, Kuala Lumpur, is actually fairly decent.


See the plump juicy scallops there? Not bad at all huh, for a wedding dinner.

On Sunday, I braved the mad jams and traffic to meet with friends at Ikano power centre. Despite conflicting reviews, I've always had fond memories of Kluang Station, as in, the REAL station, in Kluang, where I spent many a happy time drinking their aromatic local coffee, with their roti bakar, sandwiching thick slabs of real SALTED butter, and kaya. [breaking into song....THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND, WE THOUGHT THEY'D NEVER END]....

But ya, when I first walked past the place, on the way to Ikea, you'd think they were giving away free bread in a land struck by famine. Long long queue. But since we had to backtrack, (after meeting friends in Ikea and walking back to cross the skybridge to go Curve), a table suddenly became available at Kluang Station so .....

The nasi lemak was adequate. I won't say its outstandingly good, but decent, and really, nothing to complain about. The fried chicken that cost RM4.50 a piece (for the Maryland) is rather good. Crispy on the outside, and juicy on the inside, well seasoned.

Godma had the Kluang Laksa, which uses some type of Lai Fun. The soup was aromatic and tasty enough.


Meanwhile, has anyone noticed how ridiculously expensive fruits are? Even local fruits, like Pomelos, cost an arm and a leg. In some places, I've seen pomelos for RM12 and above, and it's probably 40% skin.

But sometimes, I can't resist the urge to sink my teeth into a succulent, luscious, juicy, peach. There's something so peachy about peaches, they just call out to me from the supermarket aisles. In Bangsar village, I've seen peaches costing close to RM10 each. Anyway, after baking 6 cakes yesterday, I thought I'd give myself a treat, and bought two of these babies, from Cold Storage. Bad news for Devon clotted cream fans. The price has gone up from 18.90 a jar to 22 something. Bl**** ringgit.

So, to end this completely uninformative and useless post, I present my peach. It was disappointing. Half of it was dry-ish....... bah humbug. Plus the RM3.52 I paid for parking, at BSC....(was wandering around with the kids)..... I'd say it was 5.99 ill spent. Pah.

15 comments:

MeiyeN said...

oh yes, pomelos are real expensive especially during cny! count by weight somemore...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

if it's any consolation, the picture of the peach is gorgeous.

boo_licious said...

yup! LL is right as that's making me drool for one now. What a coincidence, I was eyeing peaches today too and wondering if they'll taste nice in a baked tart.

If you really want cheaper peaches (if that is ever possible), we used to get them by the box from the Selayang Whole Sale market for CNY.

Precious Pea said...

OOOO...so that was the crispy chicken maryland you were drooling over your bland naked salad lunch today. Hahahaah! That plate of nasi lemak looks good though.

Ermm...that peach is so expensive. From the look of it, yellow flesh rite? I like white flesh and do drop by Mont Kiara nite market. They have very nice imported fruits from time to time at reasonable price. Last week I bought 4 white flesh nectarines for RM5. So sweet!!

Wandernut said...

aiyoo... i love peaches too.

was it a made in china peach or made in australia peach?

made in china ones are often dry and not sweet :( can't taste no sunshine in them....

Anonymous said...

I had such a baaad experience in the Ikea Kluang Station the last time i went. Firstly the pineapple drink i ordered came with a dash of sambal. Thoughts of someone's leftover sambal from their nasi lemak came to my mind, so i had them change it. With a glum face, the harassed staff (harassed not bcoz they had such good biz but bcoz everyone was restlessly waiting for food to be served and complaining away) gave me a new drink.

After half an hour, we asked why my chicken chop had not arrived, they said it was coming. After 3 reminders, they finally said they were still preparing the chicken!

We were so angry, the place was dirty, the staff standing listlessly around and the bell that rang when food was ready to be served hardly sounded.

So, we walked off.

Btw, Kluang Station is started by JJ, the former manager of Fitness First , uptown branch.( not the hiaks version ,ya) The original in Kluang is his uncle's or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Hey i also got suckered into buying adorable peaches. Mine were from Isetan, KLCC. They were adorable cuties, 2 flattish looking ones, rather unusually shaped and costing rm10plus too.
They were Japanese, came with cute (to me) Japanese words which i didn't understand but was suitably impressed.

Tadaaa, when i unwrapped them, one had a big black hole on the underside and the other was dry and had a floury texture!

Anonymous said...

Kekeke...I enjoy eating at Kluang Station (Klang Valley outlets only) :P. But always stick to few tried & tested items.

wmw said...

Ahhhh...got to see how that peach you mentioned about look like....Bah! Humbug! Eh, I can sing that song with you too..."Those were the days, my friend..." :o)

Tummythoz said...

Mayb carry a handbag like some guy does? Yearite. Can almost hear you 'roll eyes'. ;)

snowdrop said...

phew, so it's not just me not knowing how to buy fruits then :)

msiagirl said...

Peaches out of season can be really expensive here but it's in season now! Yay! peaches everyday!

probably good the price of clotted cream is so high, I practically live near Devon but I never touch the stuff except on really special occasions (oklah, no one has to twist my arm) because it is so artery clotting as well. :(

Sze said...

finally, something good in budapest! peaches here are succulent and drippingly running-all-over-your-mouth good. and pomelos in bangkok struck me as quite cheap and very good.

Anonymous said...

haha be like me la... dont need to bring camera out. use handphone can already!!! for me i dont mind investing more on a good camera phone since i dont carry a digi cam. hah well anyway the scallops look damn tempting man! =D

Anonymous said...

I ate beautiful peaches in US and Australia. Even packed them on my flight back unripe but they tasted sweet and juicy once I reached home in M'sia. So, I lurve peaches so much, bought and tried a few from Cold Storage .... Jusco. And Wo to my utterly dissapointment ... all tasted dry and juiceless. I wonder why ??? I even bought them during the fruit season ie summer in overseas. so, my conclusion: no more peaches apricots or plums from local supermkt for me. kekeke.

Jellybean