Monday, October 17, 2011

New Zealand Natural Ice Cream Revisited

Surprisingly, the older I get, the easier I am to please. Give me the simple things in life, like ice cream, and lots of it, and I am as happy if not happier than say if I were dining at a 5 Michelin Star restaurant. (yes yes, I know, 3 is the max).

When I got the invite to attend New Zealand Natural Ice Cream's baking workshop, (a bit of an oxymoron...ice cream, baking?) at my 2nd favourite culinary school, (RJ, I hope you're reading this, coz you know which is my favourite), I gladly jettisoned my saturday afternoon gym plans, and headed for some palate pleasuring rather than body torturing.


Photobucket
The celebrity bloggers were in tow, KgBoy & City Gal, and Babe in the City KL, as well as self proclaimed Chocolate Snob, Ee Ling. Heading the class was Chin Pei Ling, one of THE COOKING HOUSE's regular chefs. I suspect she's a shareholder there.


Photobucket
The first dessert was Chocolate Delirious Cupcake with Stuffed Ice Cream; using White Chocolate & Raspberry Ice Cream. The cuppy cakes are premade, it's basically a pedestrian chocolate cupcake, whereby you scoop out a hole, much like when you use a melon baller to scoop out pieces of melon, insert the hard ball into the hole, and cover it with more cream. We were then dispersed to our various workstations to try our own hand at making this delirious cupcake. The white chocolate raspberry ice cream itself is lovely, with the tang of the raspberries complementing the cloyiness of the white chocolate.

Photobucket
It doesn't require posters like these to convince me of NZNIC's goodness. I've always been a fan.

Photobucket
Next up was a Tiramisu using sponge fingers and their cookies and cream ice cream.

Photobucket
It's a lot easier than having to whip up mascarpone and egg yolks, and run the risk of overwhipping. Dip the sponge into espresso, layer it with ice cream. Even the most unaccomplished of kitchen kutus can pull this one off.

Photobucket
The final touch of sprinkling of cocoa powder might be a bit challenging and daunting for the uninitiated. But take the leap of faith, I urge you. Sift that cocoa!

Photobucket
Pre made almond brittle.

Photobucket


Photobucket
White Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Esctasy Ice Cream. Truth be told, not being a white chocolate fan at all, I would rather eat this ice cream on it's own, undressed and naked.

Photobucket
Look at that rich dark chocolate ice cream.

Photobucket
Actually these celebrity bloggers were featured in the Star writeup on this workshop as well.

Thanks to Salina & Co PR for the invite, and NZ Natural Ice Cream for the yummy treats, oh, and for the voucher which I've yet to redeem. Choices choices. Choc esctasy it is for me!

6 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Wah new look for your blog! Nice.

Hmmmm...I think I prefer ice cream in its natural state. No dressing up for me. I understand its appeal, though, but maybe I'm just old fashioned. Or old.

qwazymonkey said...

Wah like Ah Pa and Ah Boy...we both launch new looks at the same time. Btw, please update your blogroll as i'm now on http://alilfatmonkey.com

Didn't get to attend this event that time. Looks like i missed out on the opportunity to sift em cocoa powder

Ciki said...

they say dark chocs can get you as high as good sex. If only chocs burnts as much NRG as great sex, then no need exercise hor. ahem!

fatboybakes said...

ciki, i think i'd rather opt for the good sex la. afterall, usually have to pay for dark choc.

fatboybakes said...

monkey boy, great minds think alike. love ur new blog btw.

fatboybakes said...

thamby, u and i, we are old fashioned. gimme pure unadulterated ice cream too, that's what i say. none of these new fandangled accessories... they'll be throwing in an I-scream into the ice cream soon.