Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Jarrod And Rawlins, Redux, Renewed

A lazy Saturday afternoon, spent overeating, and overeating..... how decadent is that.

Actually, it wasn't so lazy, as we had to kinda "work for our supper", so to speak, as we were invited to the Jarrod and Rawlins new test menu sampling. By we, I do not presume to use the royal "WE" but really, some other food bloggers, like the famous pair, KgBoy&Citygal, and The Nomad Gourmand. The other young bloggers present, who should be calling me Uncle, I was not familiar with. Elaine, that PYT from G2, the PR agency, was young enough to be my daughter. She brought her dad in tow actually, who is a hobbyist photographer, and had all his canggih equipment to take pics of the food.



Here I sit, lonely hearted, couldn't sh**, only far***.


What a happy looking salad. Colorful, attractive, contains smokedDUCK breasts, has pine nuts, I could eat this kind of salad on a regular basis I tell ya. Sometimes, some ducks feel like they've been working out at the duck gym. They're tough as hell. But this particular drake, or duckess, had the requisite tenderness for it to be served with the salad. RM26


Smoked Salmon With Avocado and A Panini that I felt was a bit too ....what's the word? Dry? Stale? I might have been wrong, since some people seemed to love the bread. Smoked salmon and avocado however is like Romeo and Juliet. Meant to be together. RM24



MMMM, delicious serrano ham with salami and ciabatta. This bread was much better, soft, and moist. Well, not MOIST MOIST, but you know, not dry. Gawd, Anton Ego will roll in his grave if he read my descriptions and abject lack of culinary adjectives.


Calamari Salad, with rocket and alfalfa sprouts. Alfalfa is like durian. You either like it, or you don't. I've been told its terribly healthy though. Me, I think I like it. RM18.








Absolutely decadent chicken liver pate. Mmmm, I could eat dollops of this stuff. Really good. No livery taste, but yet, livery in a rich sort of way. You know what I'm saying? I mean, it doesnt taste like the liver adults force feed the kids with saying, EAT THIS, ITS GOOD FOR YOU....Oh, the clincher was that it contains Sherry AND Cognac. Yummay. RM19.50


Their signature Siu Yoke. Taste wise, good, but it was cold, and it wasn't coz of the floggers chilling it with the photography.


The cumberland sausages and Dynamite sausage. I know what must be going through everyone's mind when they first see that twirly whirly sausage. But the sausage was good. I prefer the straight sausage than the curly one. It has a kick of chilli in it. Hence the moniker, Dynamite. RM by weight.


Pan Seared Alaskan Sea Bass. Which we thought was Cod. However, the sea bass was fresh, and the texture firm. I am always very wary about ordering fish dishes, coz seafood here (in this country) can be as inconsistent as our politicians and their policies.
RM 16 /100gm


Erm, a T bone steak, if I am not mistaken. I think when one goes to the arctic, one should eat ice. Likewise, when one goes to J&R, one should eat pork. It is afterall one of the pioneer Porcine Cathedrals in KL, after Mr Ho's and Eurodeli.


Another house specialty, the Serrano Ham & Bacon Pasta with Dried Chili & Olive Oil. By this time, we were up to our noses with food, so I probably only had a strand of the pasta for taste. So I can't remember what it tastes like.


Their Hickory Baby-Back Ribs. Yummy. See, this is what I mean, stick to the pork dishes. It really is their forte. Succulent and tender. Looking at it as I blog, despite the lousy pic, makes me salivate like a hungry puppy. Albeit a fat one. RM12/ 100 gm


Finally, our cheese platter. Actually, not finally, there were cakes as well, but I couldn't stay. Stilton, old amsterdam, a lovely smoked cheese, etc.

As with all testing menus, there will be hits and misses, but more hits than misses. I've never really taken J&R as a serious "food place", more a place to chill, while munching over porcine delights, but looks like I have to reconsider my original assumption. It does have stuff for a proper dinner.

This particular branch is the one located at Lorong Dungun, next to Aliyah.

Thanks to Elaine of G2, for inviting me, and thanks to Sean of Eat Drink KL for giving my name to Elaine.

16 comments:

Bangsar-bAbE said...

My mum fed me too much alfafa (she grows them) when I was growing up. These days, I choose to stay far, far away from it. =P

That said, the chicken liver pate looks nice la. I'm hungry again...cis!

thule a.k.a leo said...

The pork ribs looked slightly charred and its original taste retained rather than marinated... this is what will make me go :)

Ciki said...

u be the drake, and I, the duckess! LOL.. lovely shots.. looks like time for me to go REDUX too :P

wanna come? (think not.. since u just ate there:P)

J said...

Ciki girl - let's go! :) :)
(I wanna try the ribs.... )

ai wei said...

hihi, nice meeting you that day. it was a great and enjoyable late lunch :)

Elaine Chow said...

Thanks for joining us for this. It was great meeting you and resulted in great blog entry!

Methinks 'Duckess' should be in the Urban Dictionary :)

KY said...

I love J&R! just went there last saturday for some Guinness lovinnn

fatboybakes said...

KY, oh? they got good guiness on tap? must go.

elaine, thanks again. yup, duckess...good word hor.

ai wei, ditto, nice meeting you too.

fatboybakes said...

J and C&C, we can go there for drinkies while yall eat.

thule, the pork ribs were yummy.

bangsarbabe, well, obviously your mother's forcefeeding you alfalfa worked, Ms Malaysia Pageant finalist.

thule a.k.a leo said...

with your words of assurance, I will definitely go for the ribs one day :)

~Christine~Leng said...

hello! nice meeting you for the very first time! ;) followed your blog for quite some time dy actually :)

Kenny Mah said...

"I prefer the straight sausage than the curly one."

*tries hard to keep a straight face*

*reads own comment above*

*that's kinda hard, hor?*

:P

qwazymonkey said...

Nice nice way to spent the afternoon. Eating's not considered working right?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

damn i missed it....

HairyBerry said...

"Here I sit, lonely hearted, couldn't sh**, only far***."

hence, the offering of alfalfa sprouts. :D

AugustDiners said...

I would go there for the sausages alone. it looks really good. yums!