Monday, December 14, 2009

Mezze On Kasah

A lazy Sunday afternoon, spent overeating, and overeating..... how decadent is that. Ooops, that was the opening line of my previous post as well, except that was Saturday.

A quick check on the net told me that Mezze is not an English word, but is a mixture of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern to mean "selection of appetizers or small dishes often served with beverage, like anise-flavored liqueurs such as arak, ouzo, raki or different wines, similar to the tapas of Spain or finger food." (Wikipedia)

Fratmustard very graciously invited Thamby and Me to a Bellini Brunch at Mezze on a fine Sunday morning. He broached the question by a very serious msn, "err, would you skip church on sunday for a food review?".... and I replied, "what do YOU think?". Anyway, the rest is history. Actually, I don't mean to sound flippant, but I had intended to go for the earlier service, and not skip church altogether. Ah well, good intentions remain good intentions.

So, it was with delight that I found myself at Mezze on Sunday morning, greeted by the vivacious owners, Perin and Shantini Petrus (who are apparently no less that related to the famous Nigel Skelchy), and promptly started with a glass of delightful bellini. (Bubbly with peach puree). Happy happy.



Come To Ah Pa, you sexy thang.


Mezze has a comprehensive breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. On separate sheets. Like brainless bimbos, we left the ordering to the hosts, with our minds completely switched off.


French Toast with Maple Syrup. Lovely crusty baguettes turned into french toast. I wouldn't have minded a bit more eggy flavour, and butter. But, it was a good start.





Home made muesli, comprising oats, cream, (there goes the healthy star), yoghurt, fruit. Actually apart from the cream, it was rather healthy, and apparently a lot like Fratmustard's normal breakfast. Lucky him. I have a glass of bitter gourd juice and a cup of plain oat bran in the morning.





Doesn't that look like a smiley face to you? Bright eyes and all. The Mezze Benedict. I wonder if eggs benedict came from the benedictine monks, who also invented Dom Benedict. With crispy bits of bacon, and a side salad, it seems like a rather complete meal. Carbs, Protein and Fibre. Very good for breakfast. I like the hollandaise sauce which wasn't too sour, as some can be.





The Spanish Tartin, which is kind of like a slim fritata. Basically an omelette, with bits of potato, bacon, and again, that salubrious salad at the side. I could easily eat this.








English Breakfast from three different angles. I think I am getting a bit tired of the prime lens of the DSLR, and the blurry effects....very hard to photograph multi faceted dishes in one go. The baked beans are not from a can, and are made by the chef himself. Scrambled eggs (I prefer mine runnier), sausage, bacon, portobello mushroom, tomato. With a bellini. How fabulous is that! And mingling with good friends.


English Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. Hmm, the cow must've have just jogged and forgotten to rehydrate, as the roast was a tad dry. But I think the owners knew, and apparently its usually rather juicy. Well, we must return again and check it out.


Blueberry Pancakes With Maple Syrup. I'm not really a pancake person, especially when there are so many other goodies out there. In fact, I can't remember if I had any. Very naughty of me, considering I am supposed to blog about it.



Their best selling sticky toffee date pudding, which uses molasses and treacle and other fancy stuff. Lovely texture, served warm with a dollop of ice cream.



Brownies, which were very moist, but a bit too sweet for my palate.



I finally got to meet the FAMOUS FAY KHOO, WOO HOO, and what a bundle of energy she is!!!! The chef is from Britain, no less.

So, Mezze is located on Jalan Kasah, next to Vintry. Would love to try the dinner menu one of these days. The Bellini's are available at RM20++ for Sunday brunch. Yummy stuff. Left the place with quite a buzz. Thanks Fratmustard for the invite.

11 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Felt like a gathering of old friends. Well, maybe old in age lor.

I know what you mean about the lens. I'm getting tired of it too, which is why I'm whipping out my compact camera quite often these days. Must give Ciki a run for her money. :-P

KY said...

waaa looks naisss!

J2Kfm said...

Wait, pardon the noob comment, what's so bad about prime lens?
I thought they produce the most beautiful food shots?

Rebecca Saw said...

A sticky toffee date pudding for me please!
I'm sure you can bake that too right?

Ciki said...

OMG! you guys totally OVERATE.. LOL..

so farnee.. come to ahpa u sexay thang.. love your posts. .always so g**damn hilarious!


xoxo,
ciki

qwazymonkey said...

Ah Pa, yeah the Lord will forgive you for having Him in mind. It's the thought that counts eh? LOL. Looks like a nice pig out session.

Love the last shot of faye getting her hair pulled!

@Lemongrass: I knew it! You want to become the queen of P&S as well. Come to think of it you so wanna be the queen of everything-lah.

Kenny Mah said...

What? There's a return to P&S now? But I haven't even jumped on the DSLR bandwagon and it's already passé? :P

gfad said...

Better to go to food review with good thoughts and intentions than to go to church service with lusty and sinful thoughts, ya?

Aiya.. I wanna buy the D90 and now you guys are switching back to P&S. Potong stim-lah..

Come To Ah Pa, you sexy thang... yerr.. sounds incestuous lah!! :D

Oooh.. I luuuurve freshly made baked beans! I had them before at HRC DXB and am hooked ever since! Does HRC KL make their own baked beans??

Your blueberry pancakes look like blinis with caviar..

fatboybakes said...

gfad, where got incestuous? its just the chinese version of "come to daddy" mah. cis. WHAT is HRC? dont la use such high class terms. i dunno any place which is HRC KL and HRC DXB, except KFC and MacDonalds.

LFB, i am getting a stiff neck from lugging that albatross. as much as i love it.

monkey, she DOES doesnt she. want to be queen of everything.

fatboybakes said...

ciki, which item with we overate? got rate meh?

TNG, eh, this one baked apparently by the masterbaker's aunt herself wor.

j2kfm, a bad workman blames his tools la. yeah, it takes bootiful shots for some.

KY, yar, twas naisss

thamby, you da queen

monkey again, the only queen she cant be is the Virgin Queen.

gfad said...

Hard Rock Cafe.

Virgin Queen.. unless you have officially given birth, it's not impossible.. ;)