Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Apple Pie For The Apple of My Eye

I was surprised myself to know that the phrase "APPLE OF MY EYE" can actually be found in the King James Translation of the good book.
Book of Psalms 17:8 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.

I always thought it was some over-romanticized lovey dovey way of referring to a loved one, which of course would mean it wouldn't be in MY list of everyday phrases....though an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Nothing quite screams "HOME", despite the fact that we are slitty eyed chinks, like homemade apple pie for dessert.


Photobucket

Since he's such a loyal supporter of my recipes posted here, here's to Hairryberry...in case you want to try:

Pastry:
2½ cups flour
½ cup custard powder
1 cup icing sugar
225 gm butter
1 egg yolk

1. Blitz together until resembles breadcrumbs, and add yolk to let it all stick together. (by blitz, I mean in a food processor). If not, just use yer hands. Make sure you wash them thoroughly.

2. Chill in refrigerator (not in the oven), for 30 mins or more.

Make Filling:

8-9 green Ah Poh Smith apples, skinned and cored, and cut into 1/8ths. OR, sliced. Whichever you prefer.
Raisins....maybe a cupful
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon, or more
1/4 teaspoon clove (warning, clove powder is very powderful.... don't use too much)
any other spices you may deem worthy....(nutmeg, etc)

Cook all the above in a pot until apples are tender,...but not too soft....coz they'll cook again in the oven.

Roll out chilled pastry, about slightly more than half of it, onto the base of the pie plate. Smear some apricot jam over the base.... (optional). Or marmalade works too.
Plonk on your apples, arrange nicely.
Roll out balance pastry, and cover the pie.
Glaze with egg, or milk, or both....
Bake in a 180C oven until nice golden brown.

Serve with cream, vanilla ice cream, custard, .......

Warm apple pie and ice cream....why, I almost feel Caucasian.

18 comments:

PureGlutton said...

Nice pie! Must go buy apples soon.

spunkz said...

I can smell the sweet scent wafting in my cubicle. Well, almost! darn, u just made me long for an after lunch desert. :P

Unknown said...

Makes me wanna try that now! I am thinking of a very nice and warm apple pie with a scoop of frozen pure vanilla ice cream. (the ones made from pods not the essence. hehe)


When you mentioned 'eye' and 'hairy'. I rubbed my eye. I don't know why. It brings me to think about speck in the eye. LOL.. (Ya, from the Good Book too, Matt 7:3)

Sean said...

there's another biblical line that might apply to that gorgeous-looking pie ... "sweet to the soul and healing to the bones"... :d

Paranoid Android said...

Shakespeare also ada la...

Flower of this purple dye,
Hit with Cupid's archery,
Sink in apple of his eye,
When his love he doth espy,
Let her shine as gloriously
As the Venus of the sky.
When thou wakest, if she be by,
Beg of her for remedy.

(from A Midsummer's Night Dream)


Thanks for the recipe, dude. Won't even attempt to bake it because I don't want to be held responsible for blowing up my apartment block!

But I think the best way for me to taste it will be to order it from you. At least I am sure that it's gonna taste good. :p

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

My goodness me, you sure have a lot of cultured readers. *hunting for random intelligent quote on apples*

An apple a day keeps the doctor away
Kiss your thamby twice a day

Ciki said...

yar man.. ur readers all so profound la.. let me just make a stupid comment about how u would be the first slitty eyed caucasian i've seen skulking around dsara heights la :P

Rebecca Saw said...

Wahh..ya readers all so "educated" ..sprewing Shakespeare and all..Now I feel jakun..
Ahh..wat the heck. My comment is simple and straightforward.
I WANT APPLE PIE!!!

J2Kfm said...

one pic only? wanna see the caramelized apples inside ... now you had me craving.

Paranoid Android said...

Aiyoh... You people make me so pai-seh la. Not cultured la.

Just had a quirky English Teacher in Form 4/5 who refused to stick to the syllabus, but fed our young, impressionable minds with Rushdie, Booker Prize, Shakespeare and the Western Canon junk. All that crap just got stuck inside my brains.

I just love teasing FBB. :p

gfad said...

An apple a day...

Makes 7 apples a week...

Not cheap! :D

Can we have a pie party? Chicken pie. Apple pie. Shepherd's pie. Lemon meringue pie. Banofee pie. *grin*

fatboybakes said...

gfad, a pie party sounds good. always wanted to do that.

paranoid, bow bow, we arent worthy....

j2kfm, hahah, i was wondering why no one brought that up. yalar, i forgot to take, but there's a pic of it in an earlier post.
http://fatboyrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/01/easy-as-pie.html

fatboybakes said...

TNG, yalar, i feel like i'm swimming in yoghurt. so much culture.

ciki, why damansara heights? i am a taiping boy.

thamby, eugh...

fatboybakes said...

nipples, i lurve mcD's apple pie!!!

sean, where that from ah?

keropokman, atcherlly, the origins apparently were from some circular reflection in the eye... perhaps not that speck spoken about in matthew...but in the eye, nonetheless.

spunkz, with a dollop of haagendaz vanilla?

pure glutton, let me know how it goes.

HairyBerry said...

woah, another recipe! u da best, man!

never done a pie (except applying 3.142 or 22/7 in equations) before, so this will be cool! i got no clove powder, so will probably try using cardamon powder.

thule a.k.a leo said...

yummy!!!

worldwindows said...

McDonald ones will do for my son and I. They are giving good service to people like us!

The Duo Dishes said...

You're so funny! We're not caucasian, and we love apple pie. :) It's a little addicting.